Most people just hear about engine rebuilding but they don’t exactly know what an engine rebuild means. An engine rebuild is done for many reasons. Do you know what to look in an engine that needs to be rebuilt? There are various signs that should tell you that your engine is not in good condition.
First, if you realize that your exhaust is producing excessive white smoke and oil consumption is not economical as usual, consider an engine rebuild. This results from worn piston rings. Additionally, knocking and loud banging noises are signs of a worn out engine. Finally, a sudden loss of engine power means that it needs to be rebuilt.
Tips for improving the life of a damaged engine
There are two approaches of rebuilding your engine: repairing individual parts and replacing the entire engine. If you opt to repair the entire engine then you must be ready to spend more but the results will be long lasting. However, you can opt to improve your engine as follows;
- Replacing engine bearing- this helps to reduce that engine suborn noises as well as for low oil pressure.
- Replacing pistons and piston rings- a compression test should be done before replacing the piston and the piston rings. If the test reveals that these parts are not in good condition, a replacement is necessary. A replacement will increase engine efficiency and effective fuel consumption.
- Replacing timing chains, car drives and belts- a wear of these parts affects engine performance drastically. Remember, if the chains and belts break, that will be the end of your engine. It is therefore important to replace the parts if they are not in good condition.
- Replacing lifters and camshaft- all pushrod cams must be installed together with new lifters for best performance.
- Replacement of engine valves- it is important to note that a weak engine valve limits your engine’s power potential. Damaged valves may also lead to burning of other parts, such as, the exhaust.
Everyone loves to see their car engines in good condition. However, your engine will show signs of failure when one or two parts are damaged. At this time, you need to act swiftly to safeguard your investment before it is too late. Your engine needs ultimate care.